viral vinyl Header

Friday 27 June 2008

Skins


Call me a twat, but I fucking love this show. In spite of (or maybe due to) the fact that I have no cable, and don't really watch TV when I do. Especially comedic dramas. Or dramatic comedies. Or whatever.
Anyway, I haven't been this into a program since I was all about Ikebukuro West Gate Park whilst living in Japan. Somewhat akin to that show, Skins is a bit of post-Larry Clark (parents have all skipped town) youth scenario. High tension (dual Japanese meaning here) dramatic scenes countered with frenetic hilarity or action. Here, IWGP's bowling and gang fights replaced with pill-popping and house-trashing. At any rate, well-written and paced, often laugh-out-loud funny, good soundtrack, and a brilliant coda to season one (I think I mean that somewhere between the American and British meanings). I almost like English people again.

(Any yeah that's the chubby kid from About a Boy.)

2 comments:

omni osi said...

I used to see these posters everywhere and be so intrigued by the show. But I wasn't buying a TeeVee license to watch it. Now I have to see if Netflix carries it.

MattM said...

No on the Netflix, but it's a big internet out there. Was worried that you'd already seen it and were going to call me on my showcrush, but now you'll just have to check it for yourself. Started season two last night; maybe a bit of shark-jumping. Can't decide yet. Great music placement, though. Shuggie Otis, Feist...