viral vinyl Header

Tuesday 17 June 2008

R.I.P. to one of E.S.T.



So sad to hear that the pianist and founding member of Swedish jazz group e.s.t. (Esbjorn Svensson Trio) died recently at the age 44 as reported by Giant Step.

Esbjorn Svensson and his group were credited with bringing jazz to younger artists and it made me wonder what makes jazz music like the above (that I was put onto by the always trustworthy Gilles Peterson) more accessible to more than just the "jazz cat" aficionados? Is it the focus on the bass? Is it the heavy drums like in Roy Hargrove’s Forget Regret and The Bad Plus’ Flim? To me it’s just good music and a sense of emotion that draws me in and makes me think things like “This is how it should be done!”

“Where are all my real life (jazz) documentarians at?” ~ Mos Def

No comments: