viral vinyl Header

Wednesday 24 October 2007

Sob Story.




I made a trek back to my old stomping grounds in the suburbs the other night to spin at a friend's party. Proper club, big sound system, so on. I was worried I'd be asked to DJ first - groggy from the train ride and not many people in the spot doesn't make for an energetic or enjoyable set. Instead, I was told my slot was late/last - around 3, "so people will stay until the end." This, however, was presuming that lots of kids wanted to hear me spin. Versus get home on the last train and make it to work the next day. No problem; I was happier to talk to old friends who were able to come through early on.
But, of course, 3 turns to 3:30 and the crowd starts to thin. The organizer is gone somewhere, and the rest of my DJ friends are congregating outside somewhere. I'm recovering from a cold, so I give up and lay down on a sofa in the back "VIP" room. Get woken up at 4, "Do you want to DJ? Everyone's pretty much gone." I make a go of it for about twenty minutes, but shut down when I realize that we can all leave whenever. Anyway, here's what I was thinking of spinning. Have a listen. By the way, it starts at about twenty seconds in, so hang in there. It'll give you time to close all of the pop-ups.

2 comments:

omni osi said...

YO! feeling the UPtown edit! And LOVE that samba dub house joint after!!! Who is that?! I've heard that once and i can't stop bouncing everytime. REWIND!!!

MattM said...

It's a track off Africanism Records - big orange sleeved label. DJ Gregory - Block Party. I heard it at Centrofly in NY ages ago and spent about a year trying to find it.