viral vinyl Header

Monday 27 October 2008

More of less than ever before?


New Mos Def single drops November 4 (ask me later what I think about people releasing music on Election Day, I mean, I know it's a Tuesday, but when Fall Out Boy has the best idea...), but you can stream it now via RCRD LBL.  Myself...I don't love it.  The whole plodding, anthemic thing is best used for intro's - didn't Jay kinda already do this in "The Ruler's Back" (basically a 4-minute intro, c'mon)?  Just with a lot less synthesizer.  Damn you Daft Punk!  You done fucked hip hop up!  Are you happy now?
I will say this, though: Mos Def should be the only rapper allowed to sing on tracks.  Okay, maybe Q-Tip too (another November 4th-er, sheesh).  With four for four released/leaked tracks from the new CD using the ungodly auto-tuner (and two using taiko drums?!), Kanye looks to be rushing into his lost in the wilderness period.

2 comments:

omni osi said...

HaHa! great review of the Mos single. Have to say...i wanted to like it...but it just didn't happen for me.

respect to Fall Out Boy. I'm gonna get the Q-Tip album (it's been so long since he's had an album out, i just wanna get it before it's gone!) but it does seem weird to be hyping up an album on this election day in a recession. Maybe if there was a discount on purchase with proof of voting like starbucks did... maybe.

MattM said...

Yeah, and he did a midnight release thing at Fat Beats last night. Cool, but it's like, are people unaware there's other stuff going on? Anyway, I quite like the album. Cool how some of the stuff from his past un-releases that made it on there got changed up a bit, chordwise. Believe, in particular. Nice.