viral vinyl Header

Wednesday 13 August 2008

The Hold Up

Initially prompted by preparation for a looong (C)DJ gig the other night, I've been well occupied digging through old CD books and cleaning up my iTunes recently.  So, I present to you a new and semi-occasional musical and pictorial (re-)review.

Holds up:



1991. One of Norman Cook's post-Housemartins/pre-Fatboy projects. The second record. The toasting is pretty corny, but it's a nice late summer-appropriate mix of pop, soul, reggae and whatever. It was pointed out to me that the singers, whether male or female, all sort of sound like Alison Moyet (on different bpm's, natch). That's okay, right?

Doesn't:



1990.  I loved this CD in high school.  In my memory, it's really dense, bassy UK soul.  On recent listen, it seems that Island basically got a group of producers to try and sail Mica to America on a slowly sinking New Jack Swing ship.  The disc is a nice orange color, though.


No comments: